Skip to main content

Eating Around Georgia Tech: Antico


My new startup friends Andrew and Danny took me to Antico. This is a hot new spot in town in the building formerly occupied by Jaqbo. It offers truly outstanding pizza whose style is more Italian rather than New York both in the style of pizza itself and the atmosphere of the restaurant. This view is of the back entrance, which lets you say hi to the chefs and see their three wood-fired ovens. Everyone sits at communal tables, some of them in the kitchen itself. The place was hopping when we were there but the service was remarkably fast (though somewhat unsystematic in a charmingly Italian way).

Danny models our pizzas, a Margherita and a bianco. The sauce was ligher than what you see in the typical pizza, very delicate and flavorful. The cheese was outstanding in taste and texture. The crust was excellent, though we all agreed that it was slightly soggy and could use a little more crispiness.

As you can see, Antico also has an extensive collection of Italian desserts. The chef told me that they make all the desserts themselves. I had a sfogliatelli and my friends had cannoli. My sofgliatelli was the best I've had in probably a decade: crispy layers on the outside and soft creamy filling on the inside. The cannoli were reported to be excellent and very satisfying.

We were there for lunch but it is also open for dinner. But they stop serving when they run out of dough, so don't wait until too late at night. This is a must-eat restaurant in Atlanta. I plan to be a regular.

Antico Pizza Napoletana on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asheville NC: Luella's BBQ

Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.

Pressure Cooker Candied Ginger

I made candied ginger a few years ago. It's not something I would do every day but I had a lot of fun doing it. I recently acquired a pressure cooker and it inspired an interesting idea to me: why not make candied ginger in the pressure cooker? It should be very soft and flavorful. Here is the result. I peeled two large ginger roots, cut them into small cubes, and put them in the pressure cooker with heavily sugared water. The traditional method first boils the ginger in plain water to soften it and then again in sugar water to candy it. The resulting candy was very tender but still with the characteristic ginger texture. It was also sweet without being overpowering. The traditional method leaves a lot of sugar crystallized around the ginger. The pressure cooker gives a much more subtle result. The ginger stays moist even after it cools but you can dry it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. That inspired me to dip it in chocolate. While I was in the b...

Everybody's Pizza

Everybody's Pizza is across the street from Emory University.  It was founded in 1971 and has a seventies college feel.  But it isn't musty or dated---you don't feel like you are eating in a museum.  It's just pleasantly funky.  They played a Big Bird song while I was there.  What's no to like? The pizza is college-style as well, as contrasted to the Italian neighborhood style that is (or should be) the goal of a New York style pizzeria.  I think that the cheese is the ingredient that most leads me to this feeling.  In a New York pizza, the cheese would be central (even if it came from a low-grade Mob supplier), while in more suburban pizzas, the cheese is seen as one in a medley of ingredients that form the topping.  (I think that cheese-centrism should be the essence of pizza.  Remember that the modern pizza was created by adding cheese to traditional tomato sauce-covered bread.)  I think the biggest fault of this pizza is the crust, which I found to be just a lit...