Monday, March 7, 2011

Washington DC: Red Velvet Cupcakery

After dinner at Jaleo, we ran through the rain across the street to Red Velvet Cupcakery.  It's a tiny storefront with no seating, but it is connected to the yogurt emporium next door and you can eat your cupcakes there.  Lucky thing---a soggy cupcake is a sad thought indeed.

I must admit that I am a little skeptical of cupcake stores in general.  They do fit into the small, affordable treat category, but every time I see one I can hear my mother saying "If I had a nickel for every cupcake I made, I'd be a millionaire."  (And trust me, her cupcakes are great.)  But I really liked Red Velvet because their cupcakes aren't overly sweet.  Regular readers know that Americans-make-desserts-with-too-much-sugar is a regular rant of mine.  And Red Velvet goes a little beyond the obvious to make something that is sensuous without being overpowering.

Despite the strong hint given by the name of the establishment, I didn't get the red velvet cupcake.  Instead, I had a devil's food.  Their cupcakes don't use the traditional presentation of icing the entire top. Rather, they put a large dollop of icing on top with a little border of un-iced cupcake.  The effect is like a jaunty beret. The devil's food is topped with a bit of gold foil, which is a nice balance to the deep, dark color of the rest of the cupcake.  The icing was definitely rich---no shortage of butter here---but they used a strong dark chocolate.  The contrast between the dark chocolate and the richness of the rest of the ingredients was what made the cupcake for me.

Red Velvet Cupcakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment