Skip to main content

Meat Week at The Smoke RIng

>

Grant of Marie Let's Eat! alerted me to Meat Week, a week-long BBQ-hopping event. I managed to make the Friday night get-together at The Smoke Ring. While I was there, I met Tracy, captain of Atlanta Meat Week and one of the founders. She explained that Meat Week is really about community and fun. I certainly enjoyed myself: I was able to see some of my old blogger friends like Grant and Marie, meet new bloggers, and meet some of you civilians, too.

>

By the way, this is what food bloggers look like when their food arrives. We always have to take pictures of the food as long as it arrives.

I ordered a combo plate with baby back ribs and brisket. The baby backs were good, the brisket was great, with a nice smoky flavor and tender but firm texture. I tried several sauces, my favorite of which was the mustard-based sauce. It isn't on the table by default, so be sure to ask for it. The grainy mustard is paired with a wonderful vinegar to make a sauce that goes particularly well with beef. My side, crispy brussel sprouts with maple syrup, was truly amazing. The flavor of the brussel sprouts came through and was perfectly modulated by the sweetness of the maple syrup. The cornbread was very good.

The Smoke Ring on Urbanspoon

The Smoke Ring

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asheville NC: Luella's BBQ

Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.

Pressure Cooker Candied Ginger

I made candied ginger a few years ago. It's not something I would do every day but I had a lot of fun doing it. I recently acquired a pressure cooker and it inspired an interesting idea to me: why not make candied ginger in the pressure cooker? It should be very soft and flavorful. Here is the result. I peeled two large ginger roots, cut them into small cubes, and put them in the pressure cooker with heavily sugared water. The traditional method first boils the ginger in plain water to soften it and then again in sugar water to candy it. The resulting candy was very tender but still with the characteristic ginger texture. It was also sweet without being overpowering. The traditional method leaves a lot of sugar crystallized around the ginger. The pressure cooker gives a much more subtle result. The ginger stays moist even after it cools but you can dry it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. That inspired me to dip it in chocolate. While I was in the b...

Everybody's Pizza

Everybody's Pizza is across the street from Emory University.  It was founded in 1971 and has a seventies college feel.  But it isn't musty or dated---you don't feel like you are eating in a museum.  It's just pleasantly funky.  They played a Big Bird song while I was there.  What's no to like? The pizza is college-style as well, as contrasted to the Italian neighborhood style that is (or should be) the goal of a New York style pizzeria.  I think that the cheese is the ingredient that most leads me to this feeling.  In a New York pizza, the cheese would be central (even if it came from a low-grade Mob supplier), while in more suburban pizzas, the cheese is seen as one in a medley of ingredients that form the topping.  (I think that cheese-centrism should be the essence of pizza.  Remember that the modern pizza was created by adding cheese to traditional tomato sauce-covered bread.)  I think the biggest fault of this pizza is the crust, which I found to be just a lit...