Skip to main content

Moab UT: Jailhouse Cafe

I just enjoyed an outstanding breakfast at the Jailhouse Cafe in Moab. This place has earned its name, having served as the county jail in the late 1800s. They have outdoor seating but I ate in the charming jailhouse, complete with historical photos. The service was extremely warm and welcoming.

This is my red pepper, mozzarella, and pesto omelet. The eggs were perfectly cooked---fluffy, light, and nourishing. The fillings were very fresh and full of flavor. I haven't seen this combination before but it worked very well. The pesto was a great idea. The whole wheat toast was of outstanding quality. The potatoes were cooked with just the right amount of crust on each cube.

I also ordered a ginger pancake and I'm glad I did. The pancake was soft and fluffy with the right kiss of ginger. It was served with an apple butter with a nice touch of ginger---I will have to try adding some ginger to my next batch of apple butter.

.

The next morning, I went back for another breakfast. This is their outstanding multi-grain waffle. These people really care about their food

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating Around Georgia Tech: Ecco

Our Texas Instruments colleague Cathy Wicks was gracious enough to host several of us at Ecco tonight. This is one of those restaurants that has been on my list for a long time. Even though it is within easy walking distance of Georgia Tech, I hadn't made it there until tonight. The menu is a combination of Italian, Spanish, and French that make use of some local Georgia ingredients. The combination of those three countries is sometimes a little forced, although the georgia ingredients (fruit, cheese) were all great and perfectly appropriate. We started out with a meat and cheese board. This actually reverses the French tradition, where cheese usually follows the main course. Everything was excellent. The Georgia cheese was a big hit, as was the French cow/goat cheese. I thought the sauscisson was very subtle and very good. The waitress said that the roast pork pasta was their signature dish, so I had to try it. It had traditional broad pasta (fresh, of course)

Pressure Cooker Candied Ginger

I made candied ginger a few years ago. It's not something I would do every day but I had a lot of fun doing it. I recently acquired a pressure cooker and it inspired an interesting idea to me: why not make candied ginger in the pressure cooker? It should be very soft and flavorful. Here is the result. I peeled two large ginger roots, cut them into small cubes, and put them in the pressure cooker with heavily sugared water. The traditional method first boils the ginger in plain water to soften it and then again in sugar water to candy it. The resulting candy was very tender but still with the characteristic ginger texture. It was also sweet without being overpowering. The traditional method leaves a lot of sugar crystallized around the ginger. The pressure cooker gives a much more subtle result. The ginger stays moist even after it cools but you can dry it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. That inspired me to dip it in chocolate. While I was in the b

DCA: Cava Mezze Grill

Cava is a DC area chain with light Mediterranean food. Saibal encouraged me to try lunch at their airport location and I was very happy with the experience. I ordered falafel on SuperSalad with assorted other toppings. The falafel was tasty. The SuperSalad was light, flavorful, and very easy to eat. Overall, a healthy and enjoyable lunch, something you can't always say about airport eating.