Monday, July 18, 2016

Honolulu: Koa Pancake House

My trip back to Japan included a layover of a few hours in Honolulu. I didn't have a lot of time but I was definitely in the mood for a hearty American breakfast. The airport's options were depressingly limited. Renting a car for a few hours would have cost an exorbitant amount of money so I walked down the road from the airport. Along the way, I was able to soak in the sun and enjoy the natural beauty that spills over into even the most mundane locations.

My destination was Koa Pancake House. It is tucked into a small mall surrounded by the joint base that includes Pearl Harbor and Hickman Field. The place was hopping, with a constant stream of individuals and families. The format is a bit like a southern BBQ restaurant: order at the counter, wait for your food to come out either at a table or for takeout. Most of their business must be takeout given the volume of people flowing through.

I ordered a veggie omelet, which came with a stack of pancakes. Everything was very enjoyable. The omelet was tender and filled with nice vegetables. The pancakes were amazingly thick and fluffy. I walked back to the airport in a very satisfied mood, enjoying more flowers along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment