Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Glacier National Park: Ptarmigan Dining Room

The Ptarmigan Dining Room is the spectacular main restaurant of Many Glacier Lodge. The lodge was built by the Great Northern Railway early in the 20th century in a grand style that modern hotels simply can't match. The dining room has a hugely high ceiling and a beautiful view of the lake. The gracious service recalls an earlier era.

Check out that item in the middle of the menu: Maid-Rite Loose Meat Elk Sandwich. The moment I saw that, I knew what I would have for lunch. I have tried the original Maid-Rite loose meat sandwich, the Midwestern classic dating back to the 1920s. I wanted to see just what the chef would do with this idea.

Here is my sandwich with a glimpse of the view from my table. The sandwich was outstanding. A light Sloppy Joe-style sauce had just a bit of sweetness. The slight gaminess of the elk meat complemented the sauce perfectly. The result was a wonderful marriage of savory, sweet, and hearty.

For dessert, I had this wonderful blueberry cobbler with ice cream. Berries are the crowning fruit of the north and I tried to enjoy them every chance I had during my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment