I was driving around doing errands and needed some coffee; I also thought that I could use a little something to keep me going until lunch. I spotted a Caribou Coffee and ducked in. They had a special on brewed coffee and their oatmeal for a grand total of about $3.60, so I tried it. The oatmeal was instant, which is not my preference, but it was not mushy like a lot of instant oatmeals. I got the fruity flavor, which had quite a few fruit pieces in it. I added a little honey and, voila, a nice, healthy snack. It was better for me than a sugar- and fat-laden muffin, plus it was hot.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.
Comments
Post a Comment