Skip to main content

Cake Decorating with Fondant

I had to make a very special birthday cake featuring Elmo.  When doing such things in the past, I've hand-drawn them with decorating tips.  This time I decided to use rolled fondant.  Fondant allows me to make complex shapes from a pattern.  I can also make it before commiting it to the cake. When drawing on the cake you have to get it right the first time, an iffy proposition given my hand skills.

Here is the fondant being prepared.  I bought fondant in a box although it is quite feasible to make it yourself. The left bowl shows the yellow fondant for the nose to which I've already worked in the color. The bowl on the right shows the white fondant with the food dye added but not yet mixed.  It takes a small amount of food dye, as with coloring icing.  I always use a toothpick to add the dye.  You mix in the color by kneading the dough like a ball of clay.  It takes quite a bit of work to get an even coloring---thisis  great hand exercise.

To prepare, I found a picture of Elmo, blew it up to the right size, and printed a few copies.  I cut out different pieces as stencils: the face, nose, and eyes.  My original plan was to put the stencil on the fondant and then sprinkle powdered sugar to transfer the pattern.  That didn't work very well but it turns out that tracing the pattern with a toothpick works great. You can almost cut the fondant with the toothpick but I used a knife to make the final cut.  If you look closely at this photo you can see the pattern drawn out around the red fondant. To transfer the mouth pattern, I put the picture on top of the fondant and punched several holes through the paper around the edge of the mouth, then freehanded the lines in between.

This is the final Elmo after assembly.  I drew the moutn and irises using black food dye.  (I surprised myself by having a bottle of black dye on the shelf.  I had been planning to mix some black from several colors.)  I ignored the urge to grab a makeup brush and used a knife plus toothpick to paint: the big work with the knife and the details with the toothpick.
I then assembled and iced the cake.  Elmo was easy to pick up and transfer to the cake.  I ended up moving the different pieces separately and used some icing to glue them in place.  A little blue piping on the bottom and that's it.  I managed to do the whole thing, including baking the cakes, in about 2-1/2 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating Around Georgia Tech: Ecco

Our Texas Instruments colleague Cathy Wicks was gracious enough to host several of us at Ecco tonight. This is one of those restaurants that has been on my list for a long time. Even though it is within easy walking distance of Georgia Tech, I hadn't made it there until tonight. The menu is a combination of Italian, Spanish, and French that make use of some local Georgia ingredients. The combination of those three countries is sometimes a little forced, although the georgia ingredients (fruit, cheese) were all great and perfectly appropriate. We started out with a meat and cheese board. This actually reverses the French tradition, where cheese usually follows the main course. Everything was excellent. The Georgia cheese was a big hit, as was the French cow/goat cheese. I thought the sauscisson was very subtle and very good. The waitress said that the roast pork pasta was their signature dish, so I had to try it. It had traditional broad pasta (fresh, of course)

Pressure Cooker Candied Ginger

I made candied ginger a few years ago. It's not something I would do every day but I had a lot of fun doing it. I recently acquired a pressure cooker and it inspired an interesting idea to me: why not make candied ginger in the pressure cooker? It should be very soft and flavorful. Here is the result. I peeled two large ginger roots, cut them into small cubes, and put them in the pressure cooker with heavily sugared water. The traditional method first boils the ginger in plain water to soften it and then again in sugar water to candy it. The resulting candy was very tender but still with the characteristic ginger texture. It was also sweet without being overpowering. The traditional method leaves a lot of sugar crystallized around the ginger. The pressure cooker gives a much more subtle result. The ginger stays moist even after it cools but you can dry it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. That inspired me to dip it in chocolate. While I was in the b

DCA: Cava Mezze Grill

Cava is a DC area chain with light Mediterranean food. Saibal encouraged me to try lunch at their airport location and I was very happy with the experience. I ordered falafel on SuperSalad with assorted other toppings. The falafel was tasty. The SuperSalad was light, flavorful, and very easy to eat. Overall, a healthy and enjoyable lunch, something you can't always say about airport eating.