I just tried Vintage Frozen Custard's new permanent location on Howell Mill, an outgrowth of their truck. I got a chance to chat with the owner/chef Malik, who clearly puts a great deal of effort into and takes pride in his ice cream. (As a historical note, frozen custard is just what it sounds like, an egg/cream custard that has been frozen. Purists reserve the term ice cream for a product made only with cream, no eggs. But most of what is called ice cream is, in fact, frozen custard.)
I went with the classic chocolate, which I greatly enjoyed. It was rich with cream and a hint of that egg. The chocolate flavor was very well balanced. The texture was nice and firm---this isn't DQ soft-serve. Malik also gave me a taste of the vanilla, which was also great.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.


Comments
Post a Comment