I was very disappointed with the kitchen at 57th Fighter Group during my visit. My burger, which I ordered as medium well, came out raw in the middle, as I discovered when I cut it open. The waitress took it back to the kitchen, then returned later with the same burger recooked, cut in pieces as I had left it. Taking a piece of meat that had been at a table and putting it back on the grill seems to me to be poor kitchen practice; it certainly sends a message to the customer that the restaurant doesn't care much about them. They finally sent out a burger that was cooked at least approximately to my request, although I am not sure that it quite met the medium well temperature. All this took quite some time---what should have been 10 minutes ended up taking a half hour.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.
Comments
Post a Comment