I am continuing my experiments with paired pies and ice cream. This is apple. The pie is King Arthur's Secret Ingredient Apple Pie, made with boiled cider. The cider is rich and thick and makes the filling more intense in a very nice way. The ice cream is made with homemade apple butter. The intense spices of the apple butter go very well with the cream and add to the rich experience. The apples don't get lost in the ice cream and the cream helps to modulate the intensity of the pie. Everything works together perfectly. Vanilla ice cream on pie is a safe choice but these pairings are definitely worth the effort.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.

Comments
Post a Comment