I started off my meeting at Williamsburg with breakfast at the Williamsburg Lodge, one of the several hotels at Colonial Williamsburg. The room keeps up with the colonial theme. The service was very welcoming and friendly.
My veggie omelet was good. I must, however, take issue with the biscuits. They had a strong taste of something like beef tallow, a flavor I don't really expect in a biscuit. And perhaps most important, they were small, something you might expect tosee come out of a Suzy Homemaker oven. I raise this point because biscuits are an essential element of Southern culture and Williamsburg Lodge is part of a site devoted to historic recreation. I think it is reasonable to expect a killer biscuit here. Consider my disappointment to be officially registered.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.


Comments
Post a Comment