Skip to main content

Guest Blog Post from Porto, Portugal

My friend and colleague Justin Bradley provides this report from Portugal:
Porto, Portugal is known for port wine, architecture, and seafood. Down near the Douro river is a plethora of seafood restaurants and wineries just begging you to come inside (literally, there was a guy outside one restaurant practically begging all passersby to come in :) ).
Ora Viva is a small restaurant in this area best known for their octopus dish. This dish, in this restaurant, came highly recommended by several people including my driver from the airport. So I tried it.
In typical European fashion, the restaurant opens for dinner...somewhat late (6:30 p.m.). The inside is very fun! Hanging from the ceiling are money bills from many different countries.
The walls are stone with money tucked in all the crevices.
I'm not a huge fan of seafood. I think it's the textures that get me. But I dove in and got the octopus as per the recommendation. It really was delightful! They told me there's is particularly good because of the way they prepare it -- so it's nice and tender, not slimy and chewy. And he was right! The only chewy part were the suckers ![octopus_suckers](octopus_suckers), about which I assume nothing can be done. It had carrot slices, potatoes, cabbage, and the sauce had strong garlic and onion flavors. All together it really was fantastic!
Of course one cannot go to Porto, Portugal and pass up the chance to experience fine port wine. So I ordered a Taylor's 20 year tawny port wine to go with a slice of "grandmother's cake". The cake was delightful, with mild lemon custard on top, a layered chocolate and pinenuts middle, and a ribbon of chocolate on top. The wine was very sweet, brownish red in color, nice legs, a wonderful smell, and had that old, properly-aged taste that you just don't get with anything less than 10 years old. Overall, I'm a whiskey guy, so my knowledge may not properly transfer to tasting wine. But even so, it had a concoction of flavors that made for a delightful experience, including a nice long finish that kept giving. I highly recommend Ora Viva, they say it's the best octopus you'll ever eat!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asheville NC: Luella's BBQ

Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.

Hapeville: Pit Boss BBQ

I just had a very satisfying meal at Pit Boss BBQ in Hapeville. I missed it on my first drive down the street---its location in the back of a liquor store is pretty low key. However, I considered that location to be auspicious for the quality of my meal, and I turned out to be right. The smoke billowing out of the chimney greeted me as I pulled into my parking space. The restaurant offers pork ribs and pulled pork, chicken, brisket, wings, and burgers. This is a popular place, so expect to wait a few minutes in line and then a few more minutes for your plate to arrive. In the mean time, you can entertain yourself with the Theater of BBQ that the store presents. The counter is a frontpiece to the main stage of BBQ as revealed by the kitchen window. The front of the kitchen centers around the grill with its burgers. The doors of the smoker fill the back of the kitchen. When they open, they reveal a full company of smoking meats. I was so entranced by the huge stack of ribs tha...

Pressure Cooker Candied Ginger

I made candied ginger a few years ago. It's not something I would do every day but I had a lot of fun doing it. I recently acquired a pressure cooker and it inspired an interesting idea to me: why not make candied ginger in the pressure cooker? It should be very soft and flavorful. Here is the result. I peeled two large ginger roots, cut them into small cubes, and put them in the pressure cooker with heavily sugared water. The traditional method first boils the ginger in plain water to soften it and then again in sugar water to candy it. The resulting candy was very tender but still with the characteristic ginger texture. It was also sweet without being overpowering. The traditional method leaves a lot of sugar crystallized around the ginger. The pressure cooker gives a much more subtle result. The ginger stays moist even after it cools but you can dry it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. That inspired me to dip it in chocolate. While I was in the b...