I stopped by Shearl Produce, one of my favorite farm stands, at the Georgia/North Carolina border. I was intrigued by their sign proclaiming ramp season. I had heard vaguely of ramps but didn't know what they were. They are, it turns out, these delicate little roots. I decided to give them a try. Ramps, as it turns out, are gathered rather than cultivated and are considered a rarity.
Here are the ramps in the middle of the chopping process. The stem is purplish.
I used them in Alton Brown's potato soup recipe, substituting the ramps for leeks. I also hand-mashed the soup rather than pureeing it because I wanted to preserve the ramps. Their taste was delightful---not acidic like onions, a little sweet like garlic but not without its punch. They had a tangy quality but one that was very delicate. I would definitely make this soup again and use ramps in other recipes. That is, if I ever find them again.
And here is the delicious fresh corn I bought to go with my ramp and potato soup.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.




Comments
Post a Comment