A bus tour of northern Alaska gave the chance to enjoy two very good meals at Yukon River Camp, lunch on the way up and dinner on teh way back. This establishment is located on the Yukon River along the Dalton Highway that runs along the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. This map dates from the early days of the highway and shows the stops along the way.
Alaska receives a great many Chinese visitors, which is reflected in the menu even in this remote region. My salmon bahn mi was excellent. Our guide explained that the salmon probably didn't come from the river next to us; salmon populations have gone down. But it was still excellent.
I topped off lunch with a piece of cherry pie and ice cream. Great fruit, very nice crust.
My dinner was this excellent salmon noodle soup. The camp has an excellent selection of high-quality Chinese sauces. I used some siracha sauce, toasted sesame oil, and some wonderfully umami-filled soy sauce.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.




Comments
Post a Comment