On the way to Canyonlands, I found the cute mining town of Helper UT. As I drove down main street, I spied several interesting eateries. I parked and headed to Marsha's bakery. As I walked down the street, a woman holding a plate proclaimed “Life is short, eat dessert first.” I told her I agreed.
When I walked into the restaurant, the proprietor greeted me in a hearty voice: “Are you interested in a treat?” I quickly decided on the scones in the display case. She explained that it was a three berry scone: blueberry, blackberry, and raspberry.
My scone was fluffy, moist, and filled with wonderful fruits. A Utah scone is similar to a donut but without the hole: a batter fried in a shallow pan.
On my way out, I noticed this consignment section near the cash register. It featured some kids' toys and small household items. This is the complete emporiunm, indeed.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.



Comments
Post a Comment