A wandering tour of south Georgia led me to Forsyth and The Pickled Okra. It's located on the town square in a cozy spot that has clearly been a restaurant for awhile. The decor is fun and the staff was very courteous and helpful.
I decided for a fried food orgy and ordered some onion rings and fried okra. The onion rings were good. The fried okra was fantastic, blending both a great crust and some real tender vegetable taste. I really enjoyed my stop here and can imagine stopping again on another meander.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.


Comments
Post a Comment