I decided to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving eve, a simple way to appreciate a dinner at home. I picked up a nice fresh turkey from Tucker Butcher Shop. I dry-brined it the night before by rubbing it with salt.
I spatchcocked the turkey, cutting out the backbone and flattening it on a pan. Unfortunately, in my excessive enthusiasm I also cut the breastbone in half. The turkey rested on a bed of carrots and celery.
I put the backbone and a few other small parts into a pan along with water and a few vegetables.
A few hours later, the turkey was done. My cut of the breast left its edges drier than I would have liked, but the center was nicely moist. The crust was very crispy. The dry brine gave the bird a distinct salty taste, something I liked but something to consider when considering the technique.
Once I carved the meat off the turkey, I used the bones and vegetables to make a batch of turkey stock.
Some turkey drippings went into a pan to create a roux, followed by the impromptu turkey stock.
While I had the oven on, I made a quick batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.






Comments
Post a Comment