I decided to make vegetarian beans for dinner as a satisfying, hearty meal. The process started by soaking the pinto beans overnight. Next, I sauteed onions, followed by garlic and tomato paste. Browning the tomato paste a little adds flavor.
I was, to my great surprise, out of chicken stock. For the first time in several years, I bought vegetable stock at the store, to which I added the pinto beans and fixings. The Dutch oven went onto the stove for a couple of hours. The result was just the sort of belly-warming meal that I had hoped for.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.


Comments
Post a Comment