Cathy and I decided to conduct our evening discussion over an excellent meal at Domo. It is located in a fast-changing neighborhood near Auraria but the restaurant still conveys, despite being in the middle of the city, some of the peace of a quiet Japanese inn.
The food is very Japanese but also very different from the typical Japanese food one sees in American restaurants. The menu is inspired by country cooking and is very hearty. The meal started with an assortment of appetizers. A few were vegetarian but many contained meat.
Cathy ordered this excellent pork katsu. The photo of my noodle soup didn't come out but the dish was very hearty with meat, mushrooms, egg, and vegetables in addition to thick udon noodles.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.



Comments
Post a Comment