I got up early to drive through the Colorado mountains. I found myself in Coal Creek Canyon on a small road with houses but few tourists. The view from WOnderview at the top of the ridge was spectacular. But that Kind bar I had eaten two hours earlier wasn't holding up.
That is when I spotted Coal Creek Coffee. To be open 8:30 AM on Sunday morning was astounding. The staff was very nice, as were the patrons. One of the locals asked to be sure that they still had "hippie sugar" which turns out to be turbonado. That was a good one.
My muffin didn't make the photo---too hungry. But I managed to slow down a little to enjoy some of my coffee while I surveyed the collection of board games. After a few minutes, I got back in my car to take in more mountain beauty.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.



Comments
Post a Comment