Golden is a small mining town at the edge of the Rockies that has become remarkably hip. Abejas sits between the Colorado School of Mines and the Coors brewery. Their food is excellent. I managed to grab the last seat at the bar and was treated with the utmost of grace.
Most of the food at Abejas has a deconstructed presentation. My Bibb salad was excellent but I was compelled to ask what I should do with the dollop of dressing on the side; I was told that it was there just in case I wanted a little more dressing. The rose hips added some sweetness and a little tartness.
My trout was very moist and very tender. Rose hips once again featured in the ensemble.
My Swiss hazelnut cake was outstanding. It was nicely sweet but not overpowering. The deconstruction helped me to better appreciate the ingredients. I could dip the cake into the ground hazelnuts and chocolate for an accent.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.




Comments
Post a Comment