It isn't a break without baked goods. Joerg and I headed to his new favorite bakery for our break.
They offer a very nice selection and welcoming service.
Joerg recommended their cheesecake, which was rich and satisfying without being overly sweet. The case displayed two types of quark items. Of course, we had to try both. My favorite was the quark ball, similar to zeppole but very tender and with a bit of quark in the center. I also found these at the airport hotel. I clearly have to add these little treats to my fried dough repertoire.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.



Comments
Post a Comment