I spent a few minutes wandering around Smart & Final for the first time. Based on my trip through the aisles, it appears that their business model is the food version of Home Depot's strategy---leverage both the home and business markets. Home Depot's initial strategy was dual-pronged: provide the types of materials and supplies that contractors need; use the cachet of contractors to attract the home improvers, who provide higher volume to in turn lower prices for both the contractors and home markets.
These huge bags of chocolate first caught my attention. I doubt that a huge home market exists for giant bags of fondue chocolate.
And how many home cooks even have room for containers this large?
Down the road, a visit to CVS presented this interesting combination of items.
Their array of bourbons is truly impressive. Who knew? I certainly didn't.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.





Comments
Post a Comment