I've been thinking of standing rib roast for quite some time. When I saw this two-bone roast nearly half off at Kroger, I decided it would make the perfect Christmas meal. I added some root vegetables to the pan for roasting.
The outer parts came out medium, the inner parts nice and pink.
At the suggestion of Alton Brown's video, I made a Yorkshire pudding. I've never made one before but I have enjoyed it in England. The recipe, it turns out, is similar to an apple betty.
The result was a sumptuous meal and plenty more for other days. I know that not everyone can afford such a meal even in the best of times and particularly not this Christmas. I do not take my circumstances lightly.
Luella's is a nouvelle BBQ outfit on the north side of Asheville. It is nestled among the trees in a lovely neighborhood. The restaurant has lots of windows for inside seating and plenty of outside seating. Service was courteous and amazingly fast. This is a combination plate with pork and brisket. Both were very moist and tender. For the pork, I tried both the mild and hot vinegar sauces. To my surprise, I preferred the milder one because it didn't assert itself too much. I enjoyed the spicy tomato sauce for my brisket. The hushpuppies were very good. The fried okra was fresh out of the fryer and excellent. The slaw was of the vinegary variety, which I usually enjoy, but this version is heavy on the white stuff and didn't have quite enough variety in tastes for me.
Comments
Post a Comment